- Root vegetables
A new and different version of the classic Irish dish. Serve as a side dish, or add ham for a main course.
17 people made this
- 6 potatoes, quartered
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 280g finely chopped green cabbage
- 115g butter
- 250ml milk
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 small onion, quartered and sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
MethodPrep:25min ›Cook:35min ›Ready in:1hr
- Place the potatoes and balsamic vinegar into a large pot and cover with 5cm to 7.5cm of water. Bring to the boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for about 12 minutes. Place cabbage in a metal colander, then place the colander into the pot with the potatoes. Continue simmering until the potatoes are tender, about 8 minutes more. Remove the colander of cabbage, drain and set aside. Drain potatoes and allow to steam dry for a minute or two. Place potatoes in a large bowl. Mash the potatoes with butter and milk until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Stir in the carrot and onion; cook and stir until the onion has softened and browned, about 10 minutes. Stir in the cabbage and season with garlic salt and pepper. Mix the cabbage mixture into the mashed potato. Serve immediately.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(16)
Reviews in English (15)
What a delicious potato recipe that even got my guys to eat cabbage! The potatoes were creamy and I loved the slight tang from the vinegar. It is a great way to use up left over "coleslaw" in a bag. It paired well with our meatloaf dinner and will definitely be a repeat in our house. Thanks for sharing!-08 Feb 2012
Made for RECIPE GROUP. We loved this! I made exactly as written. The only thing I would do differently is use fresh garlic. I sauteed the onion, carrot and cabbage until they were almost caramalized. Then added to the smashed potatoes. Oh, and I used Lactose Free Whole Milk. YUM!!! This is good comfort food!-30 Jan 2012
by Deborah Norris
Made for recipe group. Recipe was cooked as written, as best I could and ending product was very tasty and unique. All the flavors I was looking for in a different format. Two in one side, very well received.-26 Jan 2012